In 2020 the Royal Mint released a very Limited Issue St George and the Dragon Gold Proof Full Sovereign Coin struck in solid 22 Carat Gold with a special George III Royal Cypher Mint Mark.
Pistrucci's St George and The Dragon, seemingly inseparable from the British Sovereign, is acclaimed throughout the world as a masterpiece of numismatic art.
Its appeal has been so enduring that, with the sole exception of the special 1989 commemorative coins, it has graced the reverse of nearly every British Sovereign since Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee in 1887.
The reverse design of the 2020 Gold Proof Sovereign features Pistrucci's St George and The Dragon while the obverse features the Fifth Portrait of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Jody Clark.
These legal tender coins have been struck to proof quality using specially prepared dies and highly polished blanks.
- The classic Sovereign – essential for any serious collection
- Featuring a special George III royal cypher mint mark
- High demand anticipated. Just 7,995 Sovereigns are available as individual coins – the lowest Limited Edition Presentation since 2016
- Struck in 22 carat gold to the finest Proof standard
- Digitally remastered from the original Pistrucci tooling to ensure an accurate interpretation of the design, which is over 200-years old